This is for all the mba aspirants to know and I would like all other who have experienced being at the B-school to support or dissuade this post. This is about a “ A day at the B-school” .
In a strategy class when asked what is “strategy”, there was a sudden mum in the class. Everyone one knew something but no one knew how to put it in exact words. By the end of the class I knew strategy was “Positioning” rather creating a unique positioning by executing certain activities. You must be confounded why am I talking about strategy here, when the topic is “ A day at the B-School”
B-school with it wittingly rigorous curriculum ingrains “Strategy” in every student. Now its on the student to create a unique positioning of him/herself amongst their fellow class mates. I have identified some of them and they are as following
Seriously studious
Perceived studious
Want to be serious
nomad – wanderer
Hopeless
I think I have covered majority of “positioning” that a student at the b-school can have.
Now lets see the activities they do attain these levels. Lets assume a normal day of classes which has a group case presentation, lectures and a quiz in the evening.
“Seriously studious” would be ready with the case around a week back, they attend all the lectures so they know what’s going on in the class and thoroughly prepared for the quiz.
“Perceived studious” would help the above in preparing for the presentation, have some idea on the lectures and partially prepared for the quiz.
Now going on to the next levels “want to be serious” and “nomad – wanderer”, there is a fine line between the two which is so blurred that students don’t know where they are, they just read the case before the class or even during the class, stand behind the presenter of the case exchanging smiles with their counterparts . For them Lectures are a sleeping paradise or face saving/burying exercise and quiz gives them another chance to glorify to their manipulative skills.
Hopeless cases are hopeless they don’t care wazz happening around them, they are busy in their world fantasizing stuff which is out of the realm of MBA curriculum.
Every positioning is unique in itself, and every one is right in their own sense
It was just an observation of A day the B-school
I know where am I positioned, do u know where u r??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Buddy , u know me for how long .. around 8 years right ? ... so which category wld you put me in ?? :)
hehehhe i think we all come lie btw the third and fourth want to be serious and wandrers and we always will be there
There are some positions you didn't cover.. "
* One's that work on the night before the class to prepare the case. - Rockstars
* One's that didn't work on the case, but ready to present just for the sake of visibility, and put on some general gyan during the presentation - Gassers
* One's that prepare for everything, and still end up screwing :) - No idea
He he..good one..I probably belong to the 'wannabe serious'..
Post a Comment